Frequently Asked Questions

Read our FAQs and Schedule a Consultation with Knight Law

Our experienced attorneys at Knight Law will help get you the peace of mind you deserve. See some frequently asked questions below, and reach out to us and schedule a consultation about your case.

Business Law and Commercial Litigation

What are the different types of business partnerships?
The three different types of business partnerships are general partnerships, joint ventures, and limited partnerships. A general partnership is the most basic and is an agreement between two or more individuals in which profits and liability are shared among the partners. In a general partnership, each partner has unlimited liability and is subject to seizure of their personal assets in certain circumstances. These partnerships require little paperwork and are easier to set up than corporations or LLCs. A joint venture is formed when two entities pool their resources and join to form a new entity which may be structured as a partnership, LLC, or corporation. Joint ventures are typically formed to allow two companies to use their different areas of expertise to capitalize on an opportunity. Lastly, in a limited partnership, the general partner has unlimited liability and is involved in managing most of the business, and the limited partners play a smaller role and typically provide an initial investment. Limited partners are only held liable to their initial investment. If you are in a dispute within your partnership agreement, contact Knight Law to discuss your case.
What are the different legal structures I can use for starting my business?
The various structures you can use to start your business include sole proprietorships, limited liability companies, corporations, and partnerships. They each have their own unique benefits. If you are not sure what legal structure to choose, need help registering your business, or think you may need to change your legal structure, contact us for a free consultation.
What should I do if someone threatens to sue me over a business dispute?
If you receive written communication that person or company is threatening to sue you, it is important to assess the claim’s legitimacy and respond within the timeline provided. In many cases, you may seek a settlement before going to court to avoid hefty legal fees. However, if you are confident that you can defend yourself, going to court may be your best option. Contact us if a person or company has threatened to sue you, and we will assess your case and guide you on the best course of action to take.

Personal Injury

What should I do after an accident?
If you have been involved in a car accident or any other incident that led to physical or emotional harm, the most important first step is to seek medical attention. Additionally, you should take photos or videos of the scene and collect the contact information of any witnesses. Next, report the incident to either the police or the manager of the area the incident took place in, and have a copy of the official documentation. Also, you must seek medical attention within 14 days of the accident if you have suffered an injury. Lastly, contact a trustworthy law firm and set up a consultation to discuss your options.
What are libel and slander, and what is the difference?
Libel and slander are both forms of defamation, publication of a statement about a person to a third party that is false, defamatory, and damaging to that person’s reputation. Libel refers to permanent statements such as written material like online publications, books, and newspapers, or statements made on radio or TV. Slander simply refers to verbal allegations or physical gestures.
How do I know if I have a case?
The best way to find out if you have a case and what you could likely recover from legal action is by consulting a competent law firm. The details can sometimes be complicated, but the basic element is that someone’s careless actions harmed you. Even if you do not feel hurt at the time, you may have still suffered from a serious injury that only kicks in later on. You should consult a doctor to see if you have any injuries.
Do I have a case for libel or slander?
There are many details in assessing a claim for libel or slander. Feel free to contact us for free consultation to discuss your case.
Who will pay for my medical bills?
Depending on the case, your auto or health insurance may cover the bills, or you may have to rely on the at-fault party’s insurance. Contact us for a free consultation, and we will assess your case, advise you on your options, and answer any questions that you have.
What should I do if I’ve been sued for libel?
Not responding and pushing it off can have profound legal consequences. At Knight Law, we are happy to assess your case for you and walk you through the legal process.
What is Personal Injury Protection (PIP) and how can it help me?
Personal Injury Protection (PIP) is required in many states including Florida. It covers medical expenses and could also potentially cover lost wages and other damages for the driver, passengers, and pedestrians involved in a car accident. It is the first insurance you should use to pay for your medical expenses before liability is established.
Does slander and libel apply to online publications?
Yes. Any statement published on the Internet that meet the criteria for a defamation case are subject to libel and slander laws. However, there are various details that need to be considered such as who to sue or what legal steps may be required before commencing a lawsuit.
What should I do if I was injured at work?
If you experienced an injury on the job, you may be entitled to Workers Compensation Benefits from your employer. Just like in any personal injury case, the first thing to do is to report your injury to your supervisor immediately, and preferably in writing. Next, seek all the medical care that is required and always follow the guidelines from your doctor. Lastly, contact a trusted personal injury law firm like Knight Law for a consultation on your case.
What are compensatory damages?
Commonly, after winning a lawsuit, a judge or jury will award you with compensatory damages. These damages only replace or compensate what was lost. To be awarded compensatory damages, you must prove that you have lost something with a quantifiable worth. The damages do not have to be monetary. In cases of physical injury, it is common for compensatory damages to be issued due to medical bills and work time missed. Courts will sometimes offer compensatory damages for emotional damages as well.
What are punitive damages?
Punitive damages are damages that are given in addition to compensatory damages, in order to punish the other party, and go beyond the monetary value of your loss. Punitive damages are extremely rare and are intended to stop the defendant from doing similar things in the future. Actions that fall under this category are vague, but fraud, bad faith and acts with malicious intent, are usually counted.
Can I still get compensation if my injuries were partially my fault?
This depends on your location. In some jurisdictions, you are unable to receive compensation if you are partially at fault. However, most jurisdictions allow you to receive compensation for your injuries even if you are partially at fault for your own damages. Of course, the amount of compensation is decreased based on the degree of fault.
What information should I get from the other driver immediately after an accident?
We recommend receiving the following information from the other driver: • Name • Address • Phone number • Insurance company • Policy number • Driver's license number • License plate number In certain situations, the driver is not the owner of the vehicle, so you may need to find a way to obtain the information from the car owner and driver.
What is the ideal amount of time to contact my insurance after an accident?
Ideally, you should contact them within 24 hours. Your policy may have a specific time limit on when you should contact them. It may also give vague terminology and it is best to report it as soon as possible.
How can an attorney help me after a car accident?
In a car accident, there are many legal issues that arise after the actual accident. Insurance companies may attempt to settle your claim for less than it is actually worth. Having a reliable attorney can help you know what to look out for and guide you through the process.
Is getting into an accident with a motorcycle the same as a car accident?
Overall, the same steps apply to motorcycle accidents and car accidents, but there are some differences in filling out the insurance claim. Personal Insurance Protection (PIP) insurance is necessary in some states for cars and trucks, but motorcycles are often excluded. In states like these, filling out an insurance claim is very different with a motorcycle and you should consult an attorney.
Is getting into an accident with a truck the same as a car accident?
Truck accidents are very different than car accidents. Unlike car accidents, where drivers deal with each other’s insurance companies, commercial truck accidents deal with the trucking companies. This makes the process of getting compensation much more difficult.

Finance & Real Estate Litigation

When should I consider real estate litigation?
Some of the most common cases to consider filing litigation are breach of contract, failure to disclose property defects, or negligence. Breach of contract occurs when one party, the plaintiff, believes that they satisfied their contractual obligation while the other party, the defendant, did not. A failure to disclose a defect occurs if the buyer takes legal action after discovering a defect intentionally concealed by the seller that negatively impacts the value of the property after closing. A negligence case may be brought against a real estate agent or realtor for not acting in the best interest of their clients. They are also required to disclose information that will benefit the client, perform their services to the best of their abilities, and not disclose private information. A lawsuit may be brought if a real estate agent or realtor acts contrary to these ideals. If you think you have a case, reach out to us and we will guide you through the process.
Should I hire an attorney if I am buying or selling a home?
It is recommended that you hire an attorney to oversee the sale or purchase of a home since it is a large transaction, and you need to make sure that it is valid and that you are protected. You don’t want to sign a contract that doesn’t protect your interests and deal with unintended disputes later on.
What is the difference between a residential and commercial property?
The two main types of properties are residential and commercial. Residential properties are intended for private housing and include townhouses, condominiums, and single-family homes. Commercial properties are intended for a business or industrial use and include office buildings, apartment buildings, and parking garages.
Schedule a Free Consultation to discuss your case.
Thank you for reaching out - we will get back to you shortly.
Oops! Something went wrong while submitting the form.

Contact Us

Please enter your information and leave us a message below, and we will get back to you as soon as possible.

Thank you for reaching out - we will get back to you shortly.
Oops! Something went wrong while submitting the form.
9:00 am - 5:00 pm
9:00 am - 5:00 pm
9:00 am - 5:00 pm
9:00 am - 5:00 pm
9:00 am - 5:00 pm
Copyright © Knight Law P.A. All Rights Reserved.